28th May 2018: The EU insect platform publishes guidelines to help producers prepare novel food applications
IPIFF published today a package of guideline documents aiming to assist insect producers in preparing novel food applications. Under the ‘new’ EU novel food legislation (i.e. Regulation 2015/2283), insects intended for human consumption in Europe must indeed be authorized by the EU institutions, on the basis of an application dossier prepared by the producer(s).
The above package is composed of 4 documents:
- Summary guidelines, which outline the different administrative steps to be followed by insect producers intending to submit a novel food application;
- A briefing legal paper containing an in-depth analysis of the provisions of the ‘new’ novel food legislation that are relevant for insect producers;
- A summary scientific report outlining approaches to addressing data requirements for novel food applications;
- A database of publicly available studies that are relevant to the safety of insects for human consumption.
You can view and download these contribution papers on or publications page.
UPDATE: Please note that, as of August 2019, this version is obsolete. To have access to the updated version, please check the Updated Briefing Paper (in the section ‘Publications’), or download it using this link.
For further information about the full scientific report and the database of publicly available studies, please contact the IPIFF secretariat.
- IPIFF welcomes EU Member States’ green light to the authorisation of the first insect food products at European level 4th May 2021
- IPIFF welcomes the European Commission ‘Action Plan for the Development of the Organic Sector’ 25th March 2021
- IPIFF welcomes the first EFSA novel food opinion on edible insects 13th January 2021
- May 2021
- March 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018